Monday 11 February 2013

Is One Devon Rex Better Than Two?

So I find myself the proud mumma of two beautiful Devon Rex boys... which is a little unexpected as I was only really looking for one kitten originally.

My Devon Rex kittens 
I work from home and have a house dog so none of the "your cat will suffer if left alone for long periods" arguments applied to me. I've also always been a dog person and the golden rule with puppies is never to get two at the same time as they'll bond far more with each other than with you so I kind of assumed the same applied to kittens. Other reasons for wanting just one cat were that animals already outnumber humans in my small household and I was pretty sure my boyfriend would kill me if I got any more pets.

However, when I found an ad online for two Devon kittens needing rehoming together I started researching how viable it is to have two kitties together. A Google search and a chat with a vet friend convinced me that actually two kitties ARE better than one, especially when we're talking about a sociable, loving, playful breed like the Devon Rex. It turned out the ad was a scam but by then the damage had been done and my heart was set on two cats rather than one.

Here's a few reasons why, two weeks into owning my twins I think it's the best decision I could have made

1. They adore each other
My boys sleep on top of each other, eat from the same bowl and spend hours playing together every day. I've filled the house with toys and gizmos to make sure they have plenty to keep them amused but by far the best toy for a Devon is another Devon. I'm sure their quality of life is much, much better than it would have been as an "only cat" and my heart breaks to even imagine seperating them now

2. Two cats are less work than one cat
They keep each other amused with chasing and wrestling games for hours meaning I can actually get some work done occasionally without the guilt factor of abandoning my kitty. I've had a "normal" cat before and I've been amazed at just how much more intense a Devon's affections are. They do need huge amounts of love and interaction and just aren't as independent as moggies. Having two is like having a live-in babysitter at times.

3. Quality playtime
We might look like we're killing each other but we're just playing, honest!
No matter how many toys you buy or how much playtime you dedicate to your cat it's impossible for a human to replicate play with another cat. Having watched my boys wrestle, chase and pounce on each other for hours on end I'm convinced that having cat-on-cat playtimes is a definite bonus for both of them. When they decide that 2am is a GREAT time to play, although they do wake me up at least I don't have to get out of bed and play with them... I just let them get on with it.

4. Training is easier
I was worried that I'd find training a nightmare with two Devons. The phrase "herding cats" came to mind. However, one of them is always a wee bit quicker to catch on to a new trick than the other and when that happens it seems to me that his brother watches him, copies him and voilá... he gets the lesson much quicker. It's been a bit trickier with toilet training them as mine is a one bathroom house and we have to go at the speed of the slowest member of "Team Citi Kitty" but that's certainly not the end of the world.

5. They reassure each other
I'm convinced that the process of picking them up, transporting them by air and introducing them to a new home was made much easier for both by having a littermate there for reassurance (read more here) and as I'm in the process of exposing them to all sorts of new experiences and meeting loads of new people it's wonderful that they both have that added security and confidence from their brother

6. They keep each other company
When I do have to leave them alone at home I know they're not going to get anxious, lonely or bored with somebody still around to play with and cuddle

7. I'm not constantly worrying if they're warm enough
It being winter, me being an overprotective Mum and my boys being too young to have their full coats it's great to know I don't have to constantly faff about with jumpers and hot water bottles as they cuddle up together and keep each other snuggly and warm. Their little house feels like a furnace with the two of them sleeping away in there together

8. It saves wear and tear on your furnishings!
Let's face it if they're having a ball beating each other up and wearing each other out, they're less likely to take out that extra energy on my sofas, curtains and anything else that takes their fancy... at least that's how it seems to be working for me

9. Entertainment value
It's hysterical watching my two boys thunder past me down the hall like a miniature herd of elephants... and then thunder right back a second later coming the other way. And again. And again. Watching kittens play is the best recipe for guaranteed laughter I know. It's also really cool to watch them develop their own individual personalities and compare how they're developing

10. They will still bond with their humans
This was the big worry for me about getting two kittens... would they be so involved with each other they would end up ignoring me? Obviously I've only had two together so can't compare how they would interact with me as an "only child" but my boys are so affectionate, interested and responsive to me I really couldn't imagine them being any better. This might be an issue with other breeds but doesn't seem to be with a people-orientated breed like Devon Rexes. There will just be two of them in your bed, on your lap, gazing at you adoringly and riding on your shoulder rather than one.

11. Littermates are best
My twins have never been seperated so have a fabulous bond. Being the same age and the same lively breed they have similar energy levels and temperament which helps them get along as best buddies. I also haven't had the stress and worry of introducing them to each other or having one get jealous about sharing their home and people with a newcomer

So for me, two cats ARE better than one... maybe not with all breeds but definitely with Devons and I adore both of my naughty little imps!


7 comments:

  1. Love this. I have two Devons but I had my first boy for a year before I got the second. I work 8 hours a day and I felt terrible leaving him alone that entire time - he was starved for my attention when I got home and I had to spend hours with him. I enjoyed it but it made me feel sad to think of him sitting home alone all day. When I got his brother he was VERY UNHAPPY and I cried all night thinking I made the worst mistake ever. And then I woke up the next morning and they were cuddled up in bed and have been ever since. They adore each other and I, like you, can't imagine ever separating them now that they are so bonded. They are never apart!! I loved this article :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous, gorgeous comment, thank you! Welcome to the world of double Devons... I'm sure you're loving it even more now there's double the fun :)

      Delete
    2. Have one Devon and so worried that he will/ will not like having a playmate (Devon Rex kitten). The fact your was unhappy at the start is my worst nightmare but you said they adapted to being close.

      Just do not know what to do for the best.

      Delete
  2. hi there
    can someone tell me if having a english staffy better then having 2 devon rex cats ???????????????????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kitkat lovers30 March 2018 at 01:33

    We have a 13 year old devon rex , would she get along with a younger one???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Devon Rex cat she's a little over a year old... ImI looking into another one that's actually her kitten a boy kitten she's soayed and he will be neutered i'm so hopeful they get along...because I dontd like leaving my devDe alone too long... Hopefully they will and have a great life together with me...any comments appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm not a Devon Rex expert nor am I a breeder. In fact, when I set up this blog (early Feb 2013) I'd had Devon Rexes for just 9 days. I'm just blogging about my life with my Devons and writing the kind of blog I wish I'd had access to when I was researching the breed. I hope you find it useful and/or entertaining. I'm already head over heels in love with the Devon Rex Breed and especially with my two beautiful boys, Blue and Bowie