Monday 18 February 2013

Devon Rex Boys and Their Toys

It's just happened again. I came back home with another little present I'd bought for my boys and they were completely uninterested.

Today's offering was a set of three neon coloured foam balls I'd found in the discount shop. The boys hadn't liked a very similar set of three neon coloured spiky rubber balls I'd bought the week before from the pet shop so I figured I'd give these a go. I got home, made a fuss of my twins and quickly got the toys out of my bag. I rolled the yellow ball towards them. They ignored it. I tried again with the green one. They ignored it. Bet you can't guess what happened with the red one? Yep, they ignored it.

The one expensive toy they do love, the Catit Speed Senses Circuit
So I sat beside my cats and rolled the balls away from them one by one . Blue carried on playing with the Q-tip I'd just used to clean his ears. Bowie looked bored. I rolled the balls around 3 at a time. Nothing. I rolled the foam balls around with the rubber ones from last week. Nada.

Finally, success! Blue took off across the living room after a ball... and got distracted by the coffee cup I'd put on the floor a minute before. Bowie then found a piece of dry dog kibble and the two went nuts playing with it for the next half hour, totally unfazed by the balls I kept chucking towards them.

They have a load of cutesy little furry toys stuffed with catnip. That they have never touched. A giant rat I lovingly handmade for them out of an old cashmere cardigan I never wore. Couldn't care less. They liked the toy mice. All eight of them. For the ten minutes it took for them to lose them somewhere, never to be seen again. I've checked under the bed, the sofas, behind all the doors and I have NO idea where those mice are.

They loved the laser toy I bought. Until Bowie knocked it off my bedside table and it broke open on the floor. He then hid the batteries in the same place the mice presumably are.

The packaging from the toys is a different story. They love packaging. And scrunched up bits of paper or tinfoil. Plastic bottle tops are also a huge hit. Dog kibble is by far their favourite toy and they'll chase a piece round the floor for ages. They also love my hair scrunchies. I am down to one (I had about 30 before the cats turned up 3 weeks ago). Presumably the missing 29 hair scrunchies are cosied up with the mice and laser batteries. I am guarding my last one with my life. If it's not on my head, it's hidden in a drawer to keep it safe.

My boys love to play. Just not with anything I have ever spent money on. Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. its good to have some toys for your kitten. as they love to have it....Crate Training

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    The boys hadn't liked a very similar set of three neon coloured spiky rubber balls I'd bought the week before from the pet shop so I figured I'd give these a go.The packaging from the toys is a different story. They love packaging. And scrunched up bits of paper or tinfoil. Plastic bottle tops are also a huge hit. Dog kibble is by far their favourite toy and they'll chase a piece round the floor for ages.I agree with your post. Thanks for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm not a Devon Rex expert nor am I a breeder. In fact, when I set up this blog (early Feb 2013) I'd had Devon Rexes for just 9 days. I'm just blogging about my life with my Devons and writing the kind of blog I wish I'd had access to when I was researching the breed. I hope you find it useful and/or entertaining. I'm already head over heels in love with the Devon Rex Breed and especially with my two beautiful boys, Blue and Bowie